tiistai 7. lokakuuta 2008

Embarassement and perfection

I felt embarassed today when realising that I was at McDonald's, having a brunch with cheeseburger menu and light cola. It suddenly felt awkward and stupid to be there and eat what I was eating.

We have this option of having lunch coupons from our employer and only paying a small amount of the total value of that coupon. If my memory serves me right, every 7,50 euro coupon costs me around five euros, so using them is an noticable advantage. It can save you a lot of money if you just use them and dine out, but I tend to use them as a small treat for myself as they are valid pretty much every where. Beign able to eat outside with out using "real" money feels nice and enjoyable.

While eating it struck me hard, that 7,50 euros is nowdays such a small ammount of money, that McD is pretty much the only place where you can buy yourself a meal with just one coupon. And actually that was the only reason that I ended up in the McD at the first place. It felt like the small enjoyment that I had, had been ripped out and replaced with junk.

The whole idea of those coupons has been downgraded now when the inflation has hit the food prices and you can't get anything decent with the same amount that you did a year ago. Earlier the 7,50 euros was still a small ammount, but you could get by with it, if you kept your eyes open. Now it's only agreeable in fast food joints. I don't want to spend my money on hamburgers and potatoes fried in vegetable oil.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Going to an art exhibition is always a two bladed sword. On the other side you get so see works of perfection and admire something that lacks nothing. While on the other hand, you slice open your soul and understand you own imperfection. It takes courage to go out and see something done the way that is unreachable for yourself. Especially when it is something you enjoy doing.

I saw the Mount Fuji off Kanagawa or simply know as The Wave (Suuri aalto) in western cultures. It was magnificent and I can't imagine how lucky I was to be able to see it in Ateneum here in Helsinki. The whole exhibion "Hokusai & Hiroshige - Matkalla Edoon" (Hokusai & Hiroshige - On a road to Edo) is part of an anniversery year of Ateneum and is showing prints that are outside of Japan for the very first time.

These small little woodblock prints were absolutely astonishing, I have no problem of imagining how the western world reacted when they were first shown. The colors are brilliant and every image looks like it's made of tiny little jewels and precious stones. At the same time they manage to resemble comic books and are so easy to look at, that you can't help smiling. In my mind the whole genre of comic books found their true ancestory and it really did raise the bar. It is now so clear to see where does the manga art come from and learn to appriciate it more.


I didn't buy the exhibition catalogue, even when it wasn't really that expensive. I just slipped it through and thought that the quality of the images wasn't as good as hoped. I could be wrong with that impression, but still decided not to get it. Instead I invested in these tiny post card size pictures. From what I understand this is the same post card packet that is sold in the Tokyo National Museum. It actually reads so in the white wrapping paper, so I'm confident with my understanding. The images are sealed in these lovely blue covers and looks much more exotic than the catalogue. My life is now a tiny bit closer to a perfection.

Ei kommentteja: