torstai 24. heinäkuuta 2008

Necessities and neckties

One week and one night. That's the schedule for my pre-adventure warm-up. On friday, I'll take off my necktie and start my engine and head for north. First leg will be from Helsinki to Kajaani with around eight hours of driving time. Could take a bit longer as I need to stop in Jyväskylä region to get my family heirloom. A tent that once belonged to my grandad. It's a small two person version of that traditional army style tent with a skillion roof. Nothing fancy but I'm sure it has to be around 40 years old and still going fairly strong. Only one part missing, but I've fixed it with a rather nafty wooden spare. Looks absolutely lovely.

As the whole idea of the trip is to be a sort of an adventure, I've yet to make any plans. Only drawback is that currently, I'm not totally sure what am I supposed to take with me. Pack lightly has always been my mantra when leaving home, as in the worst case scenario, it would be me who would have to carry all that luggage when the escalatos don't work or there are other strange obstacles. Alas, I'm traveling by car so basicly there would be no need for any weight limitations. Meaning that I can bring such neccessities as a bottle of champagne and a fishing rod. Neighter are among the usual luggage that I carry around.

Suppose there should be a some kind of list for me to follow, but would that be the right thing to do? It does sound a bit sissy for actually having a written down list for the items what you might need. A clear mental note of all the items I really do need, sounds more realistic. A sleeping bag, tent, knife, camera (with extra batteries) and some nice music for the ride, that will do. Everything else is a luxary and can be forgotten.

After Kajaani, I'm thinking of driving all the way to Inari region. After that there's only a short, few hour stint to the border and to the unexplored. Will see what happens after the border crossing, but general idea is to shop around Kirkness for few hours and then just drift off to the sunset. My ultimate target is to see the Barents sea and maybe throw some rocks at it. Hmm.. then again there are few stones that I've brought along from Hanko and could be nice to make a switch. Nobody would notice that I've planted some strange stones at the northern shore of Norway. After all.. if someone would notice, I'd might get in to trouble. The Norwegians are bound to be against that sort of sillyness.

Anyways, meeting of natives is bound to be fun. My swedish is like a 1000 page novel, typed only with half of the alphabet. Really impressive, but you can barely make up the main plot. It sucks, but what can you do. I'm not planning to take an intensive course in Swedish or Norwegian, not in one week anyways. After all, don't they sound pretty much the same? And how hard can it be to point your finger and smile look like an idiot. Especially when I'm really good at both.

By the way, how many neckties should a modern man have? I just counted mine and realized, I have sixteen.

Ei kommentteja: