perjantai 23. toukokuuta 2008

An Eagle

I just saw an eagle (Aquila chrysaetos), when I came home. After parking my car I noticed a big bird of prey, flying above me with low altitude. I think it was just 40-50 meters above me, with some seagulls and hooded crows (Corvus cornix) following it close by and making swoops at it.

Of course I'm not totally sure if it was an eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) or an white tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) as I can't really tell them apart. But my best guess would be eagle, as it apeared to have some ragged white patches under it's wings and some on the tail also. The head was dark and the white parts didn't have any distinctive shape. As Wikipedia explains that white tailed eagle has a lighter head and tail.

I have to say that it was magnificent and must have been the first time that I really see one that close. Of course I've seen several of them before but always from the distance. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

Ei kommentteja: