lauantai 28. helmikuuta 2009

Hockey cards

I went back the memory lane just earlier today, as I went grocery shopping at my local supermarket. Right next to the counter, there was a small box of brand new O-Pee-Chee hockey cards. As soon as they caught my eye, they were placed at the very top of my wish list. Of course I grabbed a bag for me, even when they are ridiculously expensive.

It's hard to tell who really started the craze for hockey cards in the early 90's, but boy did we buy in to that. All the guys at our school were convinced, that they actually were the ticket for easy money and fame. We convinced ourselves that a certain rookie card, could be worth hundrets of markkas (we still had our own markka back then), in the near future. My priced possession was the Upped deck rookie cards for Jaromir Jagr, Eric Lindros and of course signed rookie card for Edmonton's Ryan Smith. It was huge among us, and porbably the biggest thing that hit us collectively during those years.

Maybe it was the teenage hormones, that really killed off the hockey card rage for us. As I can remember how it came to an blunt stop. We just stopped thinking that it was cool anymore. Suppose none of us really stopped enjoying the cards, but it was just considered unfashionable and childish. Which it of course was, but sometimes it's still fun to forget the years of life experience and buy something totally silly. Suppose that's the reason why I managed to buy one set of these 2008-09 hockey cards for myself.

I wonder where are all the cards that I bought years ago...

Ei kommentteja: