lauantai 21. maaliskuuta 2009

In the land of the Pharaohs

A friend of mine is currently soaking her toes in the Red Sea, on the Egyptian side of it, and I'm sure she is having the time of her life. Unless she has been kidnapped and sold to an Arab sheik for 900 camels. Suppose she really needed her holiday and I'm pretty confident, that the spot she picked is just wonderful. As in my opinion Egypt has to be one the great places on Earth.

Of course she didn't go there to have a look on the pyramids, as I would have, but I'm still pretty psyched that she went there. As I'm just reading a book by Herodotus and he wrote generously about the region and all it's wonders. There has to be something special about the people, who build the pyramids with out the help of modern tools. Imagine all the work and thought that went in to those projects.

A second book that I am sort of reading at the moment, is actually a book with transcripts of anchient letters from the time of Pharaos. There are hundrets of survived letters from the town of Deir el Medina. It was an setlement for the artisans who build the tempels in the Valley of the Kings. The letters range from all sorts of subjects, the construction manager is complaining about not getting the proper materials, or the lack of pay for the workers. Old father is writing to his son and begging him not to forget him now when he is old and loosing his sight. Just ordinary letters on ordinary subjects, but a clear sight to the lives of people who lived more than three millennias away.

Even when I'm relatively fixed with the princible of not reading anyones mail, I'm relax about this book. The letters published in this are more than 3000 year old, and I'm sure that the original writers won't mind. The book is in Finnish and is called "Kirjeitä faraoiden Egyptistä" (Letters from the Egypt of the Pharaohs), published by Basam Books.

May this reach you in life, prosperity and in good health.

Ei kommentteja: